The following recipe is flavorful, easy to prepare, and fast to cook. It combines the strong flavors of its ingredients (bitter radicchio, sweet sugar, acidic vinegar, and tart goat cheese) into harmonious and unique dish that can be served as an appetizer or enjoyed as a light lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 5 ounces radicchio (about half of a medium head)
- 8 ounces of goat cheese
This spread goes beautifully with grilled bread which is very simple to make. For it you will need 8 ounces of Italian bread cut into 1 1/2 inch slices, 1 medium clove of garlic, olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Just grind the garlic into a paste and mix it together with the olive oil. Brush the bread slices with the mixture and top off with salt and pepper per your preference. Place on grill in medium to high heat, until the bread is toasted and crisp.
Back to the spread:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and stir occasionally until soft and slightly golden.
2. Add the radicchio and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the radicchio is wilted. Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and combine thoroughly. Keep stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes completely wilted and dark in color. Remove from heat.
3. To serve, spread some goat cheese as the base on your prepared bread and top with the radicchio spread. If you are looking to store the combination you can place in a small glass jar in multiple layers.