I finally got around to baking this weekend. I wasn’t sure what to start with, but thankfully I stumbled upon this lovely baking kit and decided to make brown sugar shortbread cookies. Not only were most of the ingredients included inside, but this pretty box is great for kitchen odds and ends.
Inside the box, most of the ingredients (except for the butter and salt) are included. In order to make this recipe, you will need:
175g plain flour
50g corn flour
80g soft light brown sugar
100g chocolate chips
150g butter (at room temperature)
Serving size: about 20 shortbread biscuits
1. In a large bowl, cream (use a mixer at medium speed and beat ingredients together until light and fluffy) the brown sugar and butter
2. Now, using your hands, combine the flour, corn flour, and salt with the buttery mixture (which should look like this)
3. Roll dough into a log shape, cover with plastic film and place in fridge for one hour.
4. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees. The instructions were written in England and seeing how my oven does not have that setting I assumed that it would be 320 degrees F.
5. After the hour, remove the log from the fridge and cut the shortbread in whatever shape you prefer. I went with a random oblong shape but feel free to choose something prettier! Once they are cut, prick the shortbread with a fork before baking.
6. Place the shortbread on a baking tray. I line mine with foil, because I have found that parchment paper burns once it is in the over. Does this happen to anybody else?
7. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes (I placed it for 28 minutes), until the shortbread is golden brown. Once baked, remove from oven and transfer to a plate.
8. Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the water is lower than the bowl, otherwise the water will overflow into the chocolate and instead of a dipping sauce you have a watery concoction).
9. Serve by itself or with other dipping sauces (my favorites were caramel and strawberry jam).
Thoughts: Overall this was a very easy recipe and the kit was very practical. It is a perfect recipe for a tea party or as part of a breakfast. I would love to check out more of these kits and try them out. If you’d like more information, the kit’s name is “Bake With Suzy“.